Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Blog 2/ Is access to healthcare a right or a privilege?

Access to healthcare is a complex issue in which many Americans share different opinions. Depending on how you look at the word privilege, several thoughts come to mind. When I hear the word privilege, I think of an advantage one may have. As for healthcare, unfortunately many people do not share the same advantages. I definitely believe that in this country healthcare is a privilege, not a right, which it should be. Living in a country where dreams do come true, it is hard to believe that millions of people suffer from limited or no access to healthcare. Many vulnerable groups, especially children have to deal with such a devastating reality on a daily basis. It is easy to say that adults should be held accountable for lifestyle choices that has affected their health, but what about the children? Unfortunately, disease does not have an age limit and it affects all people from all socioeconomic states. Even when we follow recommendations provided for maintaining optimal health, sometimes life intervenes and causes certain conditions to develop anyway. There is obviously no quick fix for the state of our healthcare system, but as a future healthcare professional I am very passionate about advocating for access to healthcare to become a right for all who needs it.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely agree that society should be responsible for caring for vulnerable populations, children first. I believe there is an answer to the issue of health care reform in our nation and that it lies somewhere in the middle of the two arguments. Some of the legislated changes that have already taken effect or will take effect very soon have already led to increases in health insurance costs which leaves many of us, myself included, without health insurance due to cost. I agree that there is no quick fix for this dilemma but there must be an initial focus on taking care of children and on mandatory health education for all. Somewhere in all of this there has to be a requirement for personal responsibility as well, but let's start with taking care of our children.

    ReplyDelete