Thursday, September 16, 2010

Blog 3: Encouraging adolescent healthy behavior

The million dollar question on the minds of many concerned parents is, "How do we encourage healthy behaviors amongst our youth? As a mother of two young children, I face the challenge of trying to address this issue on a daily basis. I am aware that because of the ages of my children I currently have the sole responsibility of making sure that they live healthy lifestyles. I try to provide healthy choices for my children on a daily basis so that eating healthy and being active will become second nature to them as they grow. I believe that if parents start being conscious about encouraging good health behavior at an early age then it will be more effective as time progress. We as parents are the biggest role models for our children. Most of the time children behave the way their parents behave. If we as parents live healthier and practice good health behavior then our children will do the same. The best advice that I can give a parent struggling with this issue is to make it a family initiative. Lets get involved in our children lives and find out what they like and dislike so that healthy behavior can become a way of life and not just another chore.
Martinetta Victorian 

7 comments:

  1. Martinetta-
    I completely agree with you that if children grow up watching their parents eat more healthy options and that's what they're provided for their meals, they are more likely to enjoy those foods over another child who wasn't as exposed to them. It's hard when a parent tries to feed their children very nutritious foods, but are eating trash themselves. It really doesn't send a good message. Good luck with your children!
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martinetta,
    I think you are wise to consider the effect your habits have on your children. I have two teenagers and a six year old. When your kids are older, sometimes all you can do is exhibit the healthy action and try to encourage healthy discussion on thier level. The foundations for health throughout life starts at home, and strategies change and grow as children become older.
    Thank you,
    Amy Hicks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Martinetta!

    I am only 23 years old with no children so I cant speak on behalf of a parent but I do agree that if you start showing your children the right ways to eat and how fun being active can be it will become second nature. When I went to college, I knew how important home cooking was and how much more affordable it can be. I could make what ever I wanted and it would taste good! I also remained very active, going to the gyum and playing soccer because thats what I saw my parents do and that what they showed me as a young child. It was fun, it was healthy, and I never thought there was any other way to live except that way. So you are absolutely right about starting young so that these healthy habits become second nature. Plus, I am sure your kids will thank you one day for preparing them to make the best decisions about living a healthy life and not even having to think about it.

    Sara Abbasi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,
    I also think parents should instill the healthy behavior in kids because they are a reflection of you. I do not have children, but I do have a niece and nephew. I am constantly getting on to my sister about my nephew's eating habits. He is 8 and is a very "picky" eater. His diet consist of Pizza and chicken finger/nuggets. It's funny though because most of my friends kids are like my nephew "picky" and their diet consist of the same thing. I stop and think to myself, is it picky or they know they can get what they want. Growing up we were not allowed to be picky you either ate what mom/dad cooked or you don't eat! I think now it's just easier to say "he's picky" and he only eats this. Again I do not have children, but I hope when I do I will take the time and find out what my kids like and dislike and not simply say "they are picky and all they eat is pizza and chicken finger/nuggets".

    Yadira Cheatham

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Martinetta,
    I am a firm believer in the tenet that if you don't want your child to like something, don't expose him/her to it. It seems to me that many parents today are so rushed and so stressed with work (sometimes 2 jobs), kids activities and other commitments that sometimes they just give in and do what's easy instead of what's right and healthy. I think this applies to many other things as well as food -- smoking cigarettes, overeating, using drugs (even legal ones!) instead of dealing with problems, spending more than we make, and many many others. Kids are influenced FIRST by their nuclear family and secondly by peers and society. If that first influence is a powerful one for healthy behaviors then the later influence will have less effect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Martinetta,
    I completely agree with you! The other day I was visiting my parents and my nephew asked for dessert, my dad offers him one sweet and the rest fruit. He picked the fruit. I thought to myself I do not remember those healthy options as a child. My parents' poor choices have definitely affected my eating habits as an adult. It is very hard to re-wire your thinking. I do not have any children, but I hope I can instill in them the healthy habits I was not taught.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi. I totally agree. I feel that it is very important for parents to set the example and teach kids how and the importance of eating healthy. Children naturally follow their parents and do what they see. As far as television, video games, computers etc, all that stuff has to be monitored. It is better for children to spend at least some time outdoors and getting some exercise. Also eating healthy and exercising helps the children stay strong and fight sickness. If kids start young, there is a good chance that they might continue a healthy lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete