Thursday, October 14, 2010

Blog 7: Advice to a friend suspecting an STD

Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are a major health concern in the United States. According to the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (2008), there are approximately 19 million new cases each year. This trend is affecting women at higher rates than men (CDC, 2008). I believe the first step in reducing the spread of STDs is encouraging testing. If I were approached by a friend or relative who suspected she had a sexually transmitted disease, without hesitation I would immediately advise the individual to get tested. I would be careful not to pass judgement, because obviously, if this person came to me with her problem, she feels a sense of trust amongst the relationship. I would do my best to persuade her to make the rational decision of getting tested and treatment immediately.  It is important for all women who are sexually active to be tested for STDs routinely and even more so when they are having symptoms. I would inform my friend of the risk involved in not being tested, such as, she may spread the disease to other partners, she may not be able to conceive in the future or it may cause cancer if left untreated (Avert, n.d.). Approximately 24,000 women in the U.S. become infertile due to undiagnosed and untreated STDs (CDC,2008). 
Embarrassment can me a major contributor to the decision not to be tested for an STD. If my friend's fear was related to embarassment, I would advise her that everything she discusses with her healthcare provider is confidential and that the provider deals with these health issues all the time. STDs are never a welcomed experience, but it is important to get the proper treatment as soon as possible for best results. The fear of the unknown is natural, but it is better to know than not for a number of reasons. The following link would be helpful for those without a primary care provider, looking for a free local testing center http://yourstdhelp.com/free_clinic_locator.html

References:
Avert. (n.d.). Teens & sexually transmitted diseases. Retrieved on October 13, 2010 from http://www.avert.org/teens-diseases.htm 

Centers for Disease Control & Prevention. (2008). Sexually transmitted diseases. Data & statistics. Retrieved on October 13, 2010 from http://www.cdc.gov/std/stats08/trends.htm

1 comment:

  1. encouraging testing is really a good idea and something people really should do everything you said was very right and I feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete