Thursday, November 11, 2010

Blog 11: Living with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus

Chronic illnesses are no doubt a major problem in many parts of the developed and under developed world. Living with a chronic illness is a tough experience for any individual. These conditions are so prevalent that we all know at least one person living with some type of chronic disease.  Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) is a chronic autoimmune disease characterized by inflammation and destruction of healthy tissue in the body. The destruction occurs most commonly in the skin, joints and blood (Lupus Foundation of America, 2010). This disease is more common in women than in men.
I recently had the opportunity to interview Debra, a 60 year old, African American female, living with SLE.When asked to describe living with such a debilitating disease, Debra responded, there are definitely some good and bad days living with this condition. She stated, "I was diagnosed with the condition when I was 35 years old, therefore, I've experienced many flare up and remission periods. I asked Debra to describe in detail how she feels during a typical flare up. She described being limited in her ability to perform daily activities. Pain is usually the cause of her limitation. Debra stated, at times she has felt like her skin was on fire due to the inflammation caused by her condition. She is very weak and tired during these periods and it is hard for her to get out of bed. Debra has been taking steroid medication (prednisone) for over 20 years for her illness. She states, this medication is the only thing that gives her the strength she needs to get up and move about. She is admitted into the hospital at least once a year for IV therapy, when she is unable to get proper relief at home. When the disease is in remission, she usually has no trouble enjoying life. I asked Debra, what she does to achieve extended remission periods. She admits, in the past she only relied on medication to help her, but recently she has started eating better and attending water aerobics. Although, initially she was not convinced any change in her behavior would help, she now realizes that she was wrong, because she has not been admitted to the hospital for this condition in the last year.Debra encourages anyone suffering from a chronic condition to do their best to ensure a better quality of life by becoming more active. I agree, it's worth it.

References: 
Lupus Foundation of America. (2010). Understanding lupus. Retrieved from http://www.lupus.org/webmodules/webarticlesnet/templates/new_learnunderstanding.aspx?articleid=2232&zoneid=523

3 comments:

  1. Martinetta, it appears Mrs. Debra is attempting to use other methods other than relying on medications to relieve symptoms of Systemic Lupus erythematosus. After being diagnosed over 25 years ago, it would appear scientific research and studies should have been developed to treat and cure lupus. My sympathies are with Mrs. Debra, for she has to be hospitalized due to this debilitating disease and requires specialized care. It is wonderful to know she is attempting to help herself by including a better diet and exercise as a regiment for improving her life. One would believe that with scientific research, lupus should be a chronic disease of the past and not the present or future. Thank you for sharing such a touching and determined story. I am proud of Mrs. Debra for her determination!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I know what you are talking about been from Sudan I know that is really hard to be sick with anything even a cold because everything is not easy to get to like here or even the doctor. I wish I have money to give to people that can’t afford to go to the doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting about Lupus. Honestly, I do not know that much about it. It seems to be quite a complex disease. I've also heard it can be quite painful. I could not imagine having to deal with a disease like that. I hope they continue to make strides in research for this disease to help those who suffer.

    Great post!
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete