Sex education in our public school system is definitely a health topic in which I feel strongly about. While I do believe that the topic of sex should be introduced at home, I also feel that the need to reinforce the topic in other settings (especially school) is just as important. In this day in time it is not enough for parents to just talk to their children about sex and believe that they have covered every angle. The topic is so complex that it requires a well developed program that will be beneficial for teens at every learning level. Growing up, my mother conformed to a very authoritative parenting style and certain topics, such as sex were not discussed. Even though the subject of sex was taboo in my home, being exposed to the topic in school helped me to develop an understanding of the risk associated with the behavior so that I could make an informed decision on my own. I believe that the abstinence - plus approach is the best plan when implementing sex education in public schools. The fact is, no matter how well we think we know our teens, at the end of the day they will make their own decisions regarding their sexual behavior. I definitely agree that abstinence is the most effective prevention strategy but other options must be communicated as well if we want to see a decline in teen pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections. The media portrays sex as a celebration, it is important that our teens know and understand the real facts about sex and I believe that school is a good place to learn them.
Martinetta Victorian
I believe you said it very well. I completely agree with what you said about having sex being discussed at home first and then reinforced at school. I also agree that the abstinence-plus approach is best for this generation of teens. I believe that all teens should wait before marriage, but if they choose to engage in sexual matters, that they take measures to protect themselves and their partners. I, too, grew up in a home where sex is taboo, the only thing I heard about sex is that I was not to do anything of the sort. I believe all decisions should be made of the sort and I wished my parents had spoke of sex at home and had explained it while I was living in their home. Great post!
ReplyDeleteYou made some very good points here. I grew up in a religious family and although we could openly talk about sex, I did not learn everything that I needed to know. I was just told wait until I get married. I agree that abstinence is the best form of prevention, but as we all know, young people are sexually active and need to be educated.
ReplyDelete