Friday, October 8, 2010

Blog 6: Top 10 questions during pregnancy

Pregnancy is an exciting and anxious experience for any newly expecting mother to be. There are many questions that arise about what to expect over the course of the pregnancy. Physical and emotional changes are especially concerning for mothers to be. The following questions are a list of concerns new mothers may pose during the course of a pregnancy.
1. How much weight will I gain?
Weight gain during pregnancy depends on a number of factors including how much you weighed before becoming pregnant. Usually the amount of recommended weight gain for females with a normal pre pregnancy weight is between 25-35 pounds, 28-40 pounds for women underweight and 15-25 pounds for overweight women (Mayo Clinic, 2010).
2. Can I excercise during pregnancy?
Yes, the right type of excercise is encouraged during pregnancy. Yoga, swimming and walking are recommended. High impact excercise such as, jogging, lifting, sit ups, etc. should be avoided during pregnancy (Kids Health, 2010).
3. Can I work during pregnancy?
Yes, it is ok to work during pregnancy as long as you feel capable. Pregnancy may causes challenges in the work environment. It is important to keep safety in mind when performing work related duties (Mayo Clinic, 2010).
4. Can I drink coffee during pregnancy?
It is important to speak with your healthcare provider about this concern since it is unclear of how much caffeine is in one cup of coffee. Usually one cup of coffee a day is ok but caffeine levels vary depending on the company producing the product. Research has shown that excess caffeine can contribute to complications ion pregnancy, including miscarriages (Kids Health, 2010).
5. Are prenatal vitamins necessary during pregnancy?
Yes because they provide supportive nutrients our bodies need to maintain health during pregnancy which we may not consume in our daily diet (Mayo Clinic, 2010).
6. Is sex safe during pregnancy?
Yes, as long as there is no indication of complications during the pregnancy and as long as there is a desire to have sex it is fine. It may become uncomfortable in the later stages of pregnancy (Mayo Clinic, 2010).
7. Is it ok to wear heels during pregnancy?
Yes, as long as you remain comfortable.  Generally heels are ok if worn early in the pregnancy but since our center of gravity changes as pregnancy progressess we may not be able to balance ourselves properly in heels. It is better to be safe but it depends on the individual (Lynch as cited by Baby Center, 2010)
8. Are hot baths safe during pregnancy?
It is ok to take a hot bath during pregnancy, however the water temperature should not exceed the normal body temperature, if it does it can cause the body temperature to increase and cause the baby's oxygen supply to decrease (Guise as cited by  Baby Center, 2010).
9. Is it safe to sleep on my stomach during pregnancy?
Sleeping on the stomach is fine in the early stages of pregnancy because the uterus is still protected by the pubic bone. However, as the pregnancy progresses it will become uncomfortable, not to mention it may compress the vessels leading to the baby's oxygen supply (Lynch as cited by Baby Center, 2010).
10. Is it safe to take tylenol for headaches during pregnancy?
Yes, tylenol is safe as long as you do not exceed the recommended doseage. Excessive amounts can cause liver damage and also birth defects to your baby (Ruggiero, as cited by Baby Center, 2010).

References:
Baby Center. (2010). Pregnancy. Is it safe? Retrieved on October 7, 2010 from http://www.babycenter.com/is-it-safe

Kids Health. (2010). Questions & answers. Pregnancy & infants. Retrieved on October 7, 2010 from http://kidshealth.org/parent/question/

Mayo Clinic. (2010). Pregnancy week by week. Healthy pregnancy. Retrieved on October 7, 2010 from http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pregnancy-weight-gain/PR00111

3 comments:

  1. Martinetta - I am glad that pregnant women have so much access to information these days - it's easy to jump on the internet and look up anything you might want to know. I wish some women would be more interested in what is healthy for them to do during pregnancy. I have a little guy in my class at school who has fetal alcohol syndrome and was born addicted to crack, then was abandoned. It is so tragic when a child's life is devastated by the mother's lack of concern during pregnancy, and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, I like the answer I learned some stuff I didn’t know and I will let some sisters and others read it and learn something new to thank you .

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is so many questions during pregnancy. I really relied on the book, "What to Expect When You're Expecting", and "What to Eat When You're Expecting" when I was pregnant, among other sources. I found many people had different opinions on the same questions, depending on age, season, background, etc. It helped to "compare" notes to this reference, along with your health care practitioner. Sometimes, you want answers without always calling a doctor. The traditional office is not always accessible when you are pondering over something important to you.
    Thank you,
    Amy Hicks

    ReplyDelete